Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Birth Story

Well, as most of you know, Gavin is here! It was such a surreal experience but I will try to explain all the details. Here we go....

May 18, 2009 at 1:30 in the morning, I started having minor contractions and they were definitely in rhythm. We timed it for an hour then we called the birthing center. The midwife was there and ready but she wanted my contractions to last a little bit longer. So we timed them for another hour and then called her back. The midwife said to come on over. We got there around 4:00 a.m. and we were ready to go. She checked my vitals, Gavin's heart rate, and how far along I was. I was 4 cm dialated and 70% effaced. I just laid there for about an hour breathing through the contractions. I was supposed to walk around and that lasted about 5 minutes. She checked me again and I was 6 cm and 100% effaced....so I was allowed in the tub (now 5:15ish). This was absolutely the best! Eric was by my side holding my hands and coaching me through. I was in there for about two hours or so; still enduring those not-so-nice contractions. I was so tired at one point that I fell alseep between contractions. Then the water wasn't working anymore and my midwife had me move to the bed. Ten minutes and two LOUD screams later, Gavin was on my belly crying at 7:38 a.m.! AND ERIC SAW THE WHOLE THING AND DIDN'T FAINT!!!! I was so proud of him! :) It was absolutely the greatest experience I have ever endured.  The only drugs I had were two Ibuprofen and that was after I delivered Gavin! 

I do have more to tell but I'll have to write another update later. Gavin's hungry! He's doing great with feedings and sleeping....the first night went surprisingly well, as did the second night. He's so perfect and precious that I can't help but look at him and hold him ALL the time.

Here are some pics!




No comments: