Tuesday, August 9, 2011

There's a First for Everything

Let me start by saying that Gavin is ok and is still a fully-functional 2-year old. 

We had to take Gavin to the ER last night.  We got home from work and getting ready to eat dinner.  Gavin was sitting at our dining room table while Eric and I were in the kitchen (Eric facing the stove and my back towards Gavin).  The next thing we hear is a "crack!" and we see Gavin lying on his right side on the tile floor.  I quickly run to him; pick him up and hold him as he was crying bloody murder.  We immediately look for wounds, bruises or protrusions.  Unfortunately, we found one near his right rib cage.  Eric called 911 but then hung up and said, "Let's just go to the ER!"  Not a minute later, 911 calls back and says EMS is on the way.  We had to tell Gavin that "friends" are coming over to look at his boo-boo.  The paramedic says he's breathing fine and it doesn't feel like a cracked rib but taking him to the ER would be best.  And of course they ask if I'm Jeff's daughter.  

We get to the ER and Gavin had his moments of crying, whether due to pain or fear, I have no idea.  But we did our best to calm him down.  And during the 2 hours of waiting, he was back to his normal self.  He was playing with the vending machines, falling purposely on the disgusting germ-filled floor, and laughing like this was a fun family night out.  Then he entered the room with medical stuff that he recognizes at his own mean guy's doctor's office.  The screaming started again when the doctor and nurses entered.  All in all, it was just a bruise, whether from his rib actually hitting the tile or another body part.  An X-ray would only show if he cracked his rib or not and even then all we could do is just let it heal on its own time.  So we opted not.  But we did leave with rubber glove balloons, bubbles and a rubber duckie.  Holla!

The story does continue.....

Eric drops us off at home while he goes out to pick up a pizza.  I immediately give Gavin a bath to rid him of normal hospital germs.  When he gets out, he wants his sippy cup filled with juice so he follows me to the kitchen.  Once again, my back was turned but I'm assuming he was drinking and walking at the same time and he ran into the corner of our table (THAT DARN TABLE!!!).  Still not sure what exactly happened but he busted his lip and blood filled his teeth and mouth.  The thought that kept running through my head, "They're gonna take my accident-prone son away from me!"  He calmed down once we laid down on the couch waiting for Daddy to come home with the pizza.

Have I learned from this?  Maybe.  Either never turn my back on my son OR always wrap my son in bubble wrap.

Of course my dad captured Gavin's first visit to the ER.



2 comments:

Katie Norton said...

Oh my goodness!! Welcome to the world of little boys :) I am so glad he's ok, but what a crazy night you all had!! Maybe the bubble wrap isn't a bad idea ;)

Brandi said...

I'd go for the bubble wrap! ;-)