Thursday, March 24, 2011

Understanding a Toddler

We've been looking up articles online about whining toddlers.  Yes, our 22-month year old has already begun the Terrible Two's!  We realize that he cannot communicate exactly what he wants/needs so he gets frustrated just as much as we do.  For the most part, we get on his level and calmly ask him what he wants.  He usually points and then motions his "come here" hand and says, "I take.  I take."  But if we grab the wrong item, he throws a huge hissy fit.  Some books tell you to just walk away when he gets really cranky.  Well, what happens when he is running after you screaming his head off?!  Most of the time, he just wants to be held.  Other times, he will say as many food items as he can remember (bread, banana, cracker, milk, etc) to indicate that he's hungry.  Some times, he wants what we have.  But we're doing our best to understand our little toddler boy.   

This week, bedtime has not been as consistent like we have been before.  Most of it is because we've had some visitors.  We had some friends over for dinner Tuesday night and Gavin didn't go to bed till 9:00.  Last night, Dylan was over and Gavin didn't go to bed till 8:15.  Tonight, we're meeting up with Gavin's friend, Ben, at the park so I know for a fact he's not going to bed early tonight.  We roll with the punches and hope that the next week (or even day) we'll do better.

  

4 comments:

Katie Norton said...

You are very wise to not get upset over his tantrums. You are so right, most of the problem is his frustration over not being able to communicate what he wants. You can also try picking him up and having him show you what he wants. Then when he grabs it, tell him what it is, have him say it back to you, and then tell him if he can have it or not. That will help him with his speech. Just a suggestion ;) You are a very good mama!! I can't wait to see you Sat!!

Dad said...

It's one of the reasons I don't like dealing with kids in the ER. They can't tell you what hurts. I'm waiting for them to make a device that removes all pain for kids under 4. Try turning it into a game. Not sure how but laughing is better that screaming. I remember when you would get pissed and lie down kicking and screaming. In the middle of it, you'd look over and there I was, kicking and screaming with you. You didn't much care for that and would kind of forget what you were screaming about. I don't know what kind of emotional scars that gave you but..
Little Girl, you are a wonderful mom. It truly warms my heart watching you with him. I often find myself fighting back tears. Where the hell is my testostorone?

Brandi said...

I think you're doing everything the right way. Just know that they're little sponges and pick up on everything, so just model what you want him to do and how you want him to act and handle things. He'll catch on. He's in a huge learning stage and you're right, it's just a communication thing. You will be amazed at how much more vocabulary he will be learning literally as the days go by. Next thing you, he'll be talking back to you too much! lol. Prayers will be sent your way. Love ya.

Brooke Koroknay said...

Aw...thanks for the encouraging words and the suggestions. We have a very emotional and sensitive child....just like his parents and we expect nothing less. :) The more company we have the less whiney he is....so come on over people!