When your power goes out, you quickly learn a lot of things about how you live and frankly how spoiled you are (I'm talking to myself as well). Last night/this morning at 2:00, we heard the power go off and dead silence overcame the house. It probably went from 78 degrees to 83 degrees within minutes. Isn't it amazing what 5 degrees difference can do to a person?! Trying to lay still so as to not sweat, it was difficult going back to sleep. Especiallly when you have a husband that says, "I'm hot!" every 10 minutes. So we separated. I stayed on the bed and he fled to the couch. Since there was no white noise (air condition, fish tank, ceiling fans, etc.) it was soooo quiet. It almost felt like we were waiting for an alien invasion or something and we were "hiding out" to avoid being killed. So with this silence, one would think to not make any noise so others could fall asleep. Not so much! I could hear Eric tossing & turning and shifting the sheets on the couch. It was quite annoying.
We called the power company and the automated voice told us that it would be fixed at 4:00 a.m. Not the case. After talking to an actual rep at 5:15 a.m., we were told that there were 66 houses without power. Gavin woke up in hysterics because he was not used to the pitch blackness in his room. I laid down with him on the couch. We usually would watch Little Einsteins and I had to explain to him that we couldn't. Somehow he understood and didn't request it. Instead, he was satisfied just lying with me as we played with the flashlight. Then around 6:00 a.m., the power came back on and we went on with our day with about 3 hours of sleep. Nice.
No air, no noise, no ceiling fans, no nightlight, no tv and no sleep. It's times like these that make me realize how blessed I truly am.
No comments:
Post a Comment