I'm not a big reader. Never have been, probably never will be. However, there are on rare occasions when I will pick up a book to better my marriage. Let's be honest, no marriage is perfect and every marriage has room for improvement. When we got married, we received books recommended by our friends and we've enjoyed them. But there were 3 books that really stood out to us. Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs, Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey and Sheet Music by Dr. Kevin Leman.
Love & Respect has taught us what the other spouse truly desires as a human being. The woman desiring love from her husband and the man desiring respect from his wife. The interesting part I learned was that the Bible demands that the husband love his wife and the wife respect her husband because we're not built that way! We even attended a Love & Respect seminar and we received some good, applicable information. For example, I learned how exactly I can show my husband respect. Didn't know how till I read it with my own two eyes.
Total Money Makeover has taught us to avoid one of the biggest problems that couples face....financial issues. After Eric read this book, he did a total 180! This simple (and I mean simple) concept of paying off debt while living a frugal life has helped us tremendously considering the amount of debt we married into. No fingers were being pointed as to which debt belonged to whom because since we're married, we are ONE.
Sheet Music has been teaching us (we're in the process of reading it now) about sexual intimacy within a marriage. This book has been so much fun to read for obvious reasons. I have never read anything like it before. I'm usually a slow reader. It probably took me well over a month to finish the first mentioned book. But Sheet Music, I'm on my third day and I'm 2 chapters away from being done. It's recommended to all married couples and even couples that are engaged (just be sure to skip the chapters he tells you to skip.)
So, like I said, I'm not a big reader but I would definitely recommend these books for any couple at any stage of their marriage....or soon-to-be marriage. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment