Father's Day was exceptionally wonderful yesterday because everything went according to plan. Don't you just love it when that happens? All the surprises surprised Eric, all the food tasted good and all the time spent was family quality time. It was great!
Gavin and I woke up early like we usually do....6:00 a.m. We spent some time playing before we went to go wake up Daddy. I always love those "Gavin and me" times in the mornings. :) Then we got the present and quietly snuck into bed to gently wake up Eric with smiles on our faces. Gavin was already peeling off the wrapping paper before Eric could finish reading the cards. So they opened it together and he was surprised to find his very own electric deep fryer! His face was beaming and then he started laughing.
What you didn't know was that the night before, he had a craving for onion rings. After he made them in the frying pan (and they were ok), he said, "Ugh....I'm not gonna eat fried food anymore!" I was not worried whatsoever because when he says he's not going to eat a certain food, he doesn't really mean it. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard, "Ok....I'm giving up peanut butter!" only to find the purchased item on grocery receipts every other week. So, I knew he was going to love the deep fryer. After Eric remembered what he had said the night before, it quickly left him as he was thinking about all the foods he could fry and even jumped to the idea of having a frying party!
Next, I surprised him with another gift....coffee. But this isn't just any ordinary coffee, this was Jamaican Blue Mountain; his FAVORITE coffee. I could only find it at Costco and it was only available whole bean style. So earlier last week, I texted our friend, Chris, to see if he could get Eric out of the house so I could grind the beans. That was a challenge! Chris had called Eric to see if he wanted to grab a drink Wednesday night. Eric's response, "Nah..." I kept encouraging him to get out but he just wouldn't have it. Instead Eric asked Chris if he wanted to go for a walk around the neighborhood (with drink in hand). Chris didn't want to but gave in....thinking that it would help me anyway. Long story short, I only had time to grind enough coffee beans for Sunday morning's coffee. So thank you Chris for helping me out! Obviously, I brewed his favorite coffee Sunday morning and he LOVED it! He can grind the rest on his own time.
Another surprise which lasted all day believe or not, I cooked. I made Eric breakfast; pancakes stuffed with sausage, sausage links and eggs. That's right! Then for dinner, I made our favorite Poppyseed Chicken Casserole and salad. My dad and the girls came over for dinner as well. Good thing I made two casseroles because everyone was taking seconds! After dinner (and even before), Eric was already using his deep fryer. He was making donuts and trying to perfect his skills. They were good!
Then Eric and I ended the night by watching a movie together. We watched The Book of Eli. It was VERY interesting and I want to watch it again just to analyze everything that happened.
So it was a super, fantastic Father's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment